Loudoun County, Virginia ProbateEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- See also the main article on genealogical research in Loudoun County, Virginia.
Loudoun County's original probate records are held at the Loudoun County Courthouse in Leesburg, Va.
The Archives of the Clerk of the Loudoun County Circuit Court has made the following index available online:
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of the following courthouse records:
- Will Books A to 3C (1757-1879) and original handwritten Indexes (1757-1949)
- Superior Court Will Book 1810-1888 and an Index
- Bond Books, Volumes 1-6, 1867-1963 (each volume has its own index)
- Administrators Bond Books, 1869-1904
SamPubCo has created a free online resource that serves as a good aid for finding Colonial Loudoun County wills:
Several people and organizations have published indexes and abstracts of Loudoun County's wills:
- Clemens, William M. Virginia Wills Before 1799: A Complete Abstract Register of All Names Mentioned in Over Six Hundred Recorded Wills, ... Copied from the Court House Records of Amherst, Bedford, Campbell, Loudoun, Prince William and Rockbridge Counties. Pompton Lakes, N.J.: Biblio Co., 1924. FHL Collection Fiche 6015628-6015629; digital versions at Access Genealogy; Ancestry ($); and Heritage Quest Online ($). Free online surname index and 2004 reprint purchase details at Mountain Press website.
- Duncan, Patricia. Loudoun Co. VA Will Book Index 1757-1946. Westminster, Maryland: Willow Bend Books, 2001. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Duncan, Patricia. Loudoun County Virginia Will Book Abstracts, Books A-Z, December 1757 - June 1841. Free Lookups Available!
- Duncan, Patricia. Loudoun Co. VA Will Book Abstracts, Books 2A-3C, Jun 1841-Dec 1879 & Superior Court Books A and B, 1810-1888. Westminster, Maryland: Willow Bend Books, 2001. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Eden Carter Will including Slaves, 1857, OH. Ohio's Last Frontier, Vol. 26, No. 1 (Sep. 2006).
- Fishback, John and Mary Fishback. "Orphan Records," [1750s-1770s] Loudoun: The 1757 Legacy, Newsletter of the Loudoun Genealogy Club, Vol. 5, No. 2 (June 1997):2. Available at FHL.
- Hutchison, Louisa Skinner. Index to Loudoun County, Virginia Wills 1757-1850. Free Lookups Available!
- Johnson, Robert E., Daughters of the American Revolution. Thomas Nelson Chapter (Arlington, Virginia), and Arlington National Cemetery (Arlington, Virginia). Genealogical Records, 1600-1900: Records from 18 Family Bibles, 9 Wills, 11 Deeds, 2 Marriage Bonds, Miscellaneous Records. MSS., 1956, available on microfilm at FHL. [Includes: Copy of will of Arminda Swart, Loudoun County, Virginia (dated 1877); Copy of deed for Arminda Swart, Loudoun County, Virginia (dated 1851) and deeds for James Swart, Sr., (dated 1821-1833).]
- King, J. Estelle Stewart. Abstracts of Wills, Inventories, and Administration Accounts of Loudoun County, Virginia, 1757-1800. Available at FHL here[low quality link] andhere[low quality link]. Digital version available at Ancestry ($) and World Vital Records ($). Free Lookups Available!
- "Loudoun County Courthouse Books in Balch Library," Loudoun: The 1757 Legacy, Newsletter of the Loudoun Genealogy Club, Vol. 9, No. 4 (Dec. 2001):5-7. Available at FHL. [Microfilm copies of Deed Books B, C, E, F, G, I, L, M, O, 2-A, 4-V, 6-Q, 5-V (1760-1866); Will Books B, C, D, S, AA, 2-C, 2-E, G (1772-1868) are available at the Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Va.]
- Loudoun County Will Book A 1757-1771 and Addenda. Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine, Vol. 82, No. 7 (Jul. 1948); Vol. 82, No. 8 (Aug. 1948); Vol. 82, No. 9 (Sep. 1948); Vol. 82, No. 10 (Oct. 1948); Vol. 82, No. 11 (Nov. 1948); Vol. 82, No. 12 (Dec. 1948); Vol. 83, No. 2 (Feb. 1949)
- Loudoun County Will Index 1757-1780. Texarkana USA Quarterly, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Fall 1988); Vol. 17, No. 1 (Spring 1990); Vol. 17, No. 3 (Fall 1990); Vol. 18, Nos. 2-3 (Summer 1991).
- Peter Carter Will, including Slaves, 1794. Northern Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Oct. 1998).
- Sparacio, Ruth and Sam Sparacio. Will Abstracts of Loudoun County, Virginia. [Books A-F, 1757-1801] 7 vols. McLean, Virginia: R. & S. Sparacio, 1988. Available at FHL.
- Duncan, Patricia B. Abstracts from Loudoun County, Virginia Guardian Accounts: Books A-H, 1759-1904. Westminster, Maryland: Willow Bend Books, 2000. Available at FHL.
- Duncan, Patricia B. Loudoun County, Virginia Clerk's Probate Records, Book 1 (1904-1921) and Book 2 (1922-1938) : Book 1, 1904-1921, and Book 2, 1922-1938. Westminster, Maryland: Willow Bend Books, 2000. Available at FHL.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2013, at 15:56.
- This page has been accessed 1,351 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More