Lowndes County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lowndes County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lowndes County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||30 January, 1830|
|Address|| Lowndes County Courthouse|
PO Box 684
Columbus, MS 39703
Lowndes County Courthouse]
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
For tips on accessing Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- Men from Lowndes County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Lowndes County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company I - Perkins’ Company
- - 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry [became the 48th Regiment, Missippi Infantry]
- Company - Blewett’s, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Hunt’s Company
- Company F - Harrington’s Company
- Company H - Richards’ Company
- Company I - Johnston’s Company
- Company K - Lipscomb’s Company
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company D - Lowndes Southrons
- Company E - Southern Avengers
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company E - Lowndes Southrons
- - 11th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Prairie Guards
- - 48th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry [from the 2nd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry]
- Company C - Blewett’s Company, aka Blewett’s Rifles, & aka "The Blewett’s"
- Company K - Capt. J.H. Fields’ Company [subsequently became Co. F, 8th Confederate Cavalry]
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company E [sic] - Abert’s Company
- Company F [sic] - Fields’ Company
- Company G - Matthews’ Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Lowndes County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1830-1918 - Lowndes County Marriage Books 1-25 Index 1830-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Columbus - Lowndes Genealogical Society
314 North 7th Street
Columbus, MS 39701
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Lowndes County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Lowndes County, Mississippi Genweb
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Lowndes County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2015, at 17:21.
- This page has been accessed 6,953 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News