Lucton, HerefordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lucton, Herefordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Leominster PLU|
|Parish registers: 1711|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Herefordshire Record Office|
LUCTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 5 miles (N. W.) from Leominster.
The principal gentlemen in the neighbourhood act as assistant governors (being elected by the corporation in London), and visit the school at the close of each half-year, for the purpose of examining the pupils: the head master is appointed by the governors. The course of education pursued comprises the study of the Bible; the English, Latin, Greek, and French languages; and history, geography, arithmetic, and mathematics. An exhibitioner is annually chosen from among those scholars who are qualified to proceed to the university; he is allowed by the statutes to reside at any college in Oxford or Cambridge, and has fifty guineas per annum for four years. The exhibitions are open to all the master's boarders after two years' residence in the house, provided they enter the school before their sixteenth birthday; the number of boarders is limited to twenty-five. The Rev. Charles Collyns Walkey is the present head master. Twenty acres of land here belong to the school. 
Lucton is a village and civil parish in Herefordshire Lucton Wikipedia
The parish was formed in 1747 as a chapelry within Eye, Herefordshire Ancient Parishand the parish church of Lucton St Peter was rebuilt in 1852. In 1975 the memorial to John Pierrepoint (died 1711) was removed to Lucton School after the closure of the church.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records.
The Diocesan Record Office for Herefordshire has deposited Parish registers reference AC80 and Bishop's transcripts 1662-1862
AC 80/1 General register 1711-1740
AC80/2 General Register, 1747-1812 (also contains banns). Also includes notes as to establishment of the Crowther Bread Charity, 1729; Pierrepoint Bread Charity, 1729.
AC80/3 Baptisms, 1813-1969. Loose inside, note of Baptism, 1827.
Fastened inside front cover, note of census returns, 1811 and 1821; the 1811 census lists surnames of families living within the parish
AC 80/4 Marriages 1814-1837
AC 80/5 Marriages 1838-1967
AC 80/6 Banns book 1824-1968
AC 80/7 Burials Book ( a burial index for 1813-1839 is also available reference BO 36/4
Herefordshire Archive Service
Herefordshire Record Office
Office Tel No: +44 (0)1432 260750
Link to the Family History Library showing the film numbers in their collection Lucton
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through theFHC Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Prior to the 1911 census the household schedule was destroyed and only the enumerator's schedule survives.
The 1911 census of England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April 1911 and in addition to households and institutions such as prisons and workhouses, canal boats merchant ships and naval vessels it attempted to include homeless persons. The schedule was completed by an individual and for the first time both this record and the enumerator's schedule were preserved. Two forms of boycott of the census by women are possible due to frustration at government failure to grant women the universal right to vote in parliamentary and local elections. The schedule either records a protest by failure to complete the form in respect of the women in the household or women are absent due to organisation of groups of women staying away from home for the whole night. Research estimates that several thousand women are not found by census search.Find my Past 1911 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Herefordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 182-186. Accessed and adapted 12 March, 2013.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 8 December 2014, at 14:09.
- This page has been accessed 943 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More