Luddesdown, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Luddesdown, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Luddesdown St Peter & St Paul Kent
|Poor Law Union||North Aylesford PLU|
|Registration District||North Aylesford|
|Parish registers: 1681|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1718|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
LUDDESDOWN (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of North Aylesford, hundred of Toltingtrough, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of the county of Kent, 5½ miles (W. by S.) from Rochester.
Luddesdown is a civil parish in the Gravesham district of Kent since 1974; previously it was part of Strood Rural District. Luddesdown Wikipedia The civil parish includes the hamlets of Great Buckland and Boughurst Street.
Luddesdown St Peter and St Paul is an Ancient Parish which includes Henley Street and Poundgate.
The church originated in the 13th century but was virtually rebuilt or recased in 1866 by R B Pope and has been designated as a grade II* listed building by English Heritage.British listed building
Luddesdown civil parish is a large rural area of the North Downs centred on Luddesdown Court and the associated church and includes the small Norman Chapel at Dode, which is now in the ecclesiastical parish of Snodland, Kent but was lost as a village to the Black Death in 1349.
The mission church of Leywood was within the parish and has registers from 1870.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Luddesdown, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Luddesdown, Kent Parish Online Records|
||1682-1970; 1757-1809 (Banns)||
Luddesdown (sometimes Luddesdowne) St Peter and St Paul Christenings Marriages Burials 1681-1995 reference P235
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 186-190. Date accessed: 26 August 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish marriage records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish banns', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish burial records', Find My Past, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Medway Ancestors Imagebase: list of parishes, in alphabetical order', Cityark, accessed 8 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 3 June 2014, at 19:53.
- This page has been accessed 2,132 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki