Luxembourg Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Title in the Language of the Record
Luxembourg, registres paroissiaux, 1601-1948 (French)
Luxemburg, Kirchenbücher 1601-1948 (German)
The collection consists of images of Roman Catholic Church records including baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, indexes, and other records. Most of the items in the collection predate 1800.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
The content varies by record. The following is usually found:
- Name of the primary individual or individuals
- Event such as birth, christening, marriage, death or burial date and place
- Names of parents, spouse or other family members
- Names of witnesses
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Parish of residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection image by image select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Municipality/Town (French:Municipalité/Ville) (German:Stadt/Ortschaft)"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Year Range (French:Type de document et période d'années) (German:Quellengattung und Jahren)" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names as well as nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the records of nearby parishes and towns.
For help reading the records see the following wiki articles:
- Luxembourg Research Tools
- Luxembourg Parish/Civil Records
- Genealogy Links.net
- Luxembourg Research
- Luxembourg Church Cemetery Records
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org. It may include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- “Luxembourg Church Records, 1601-1948.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Ministre de la Justice, Erasme.
- This page was last modified on 27 August 2014, at 21:25.
- This page has been accessed 1,026 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki