Lyng, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Mitford and Launditch|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
LYNG (St. Clement), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from East Dereham. 
Lyng St Margaret is an Ancient Parish in the Sparham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich. It includes Easthaugh and Ling Easthaugh. The patron saint has changed three times in the last 400 years - originally St. Michael’s, it changed to St. Margaret’s in 1652, then became St.Clements during the 19th Century, reverting back to St. Margaret’s by 1906. Records reflect different dedicatory names for the parish accordingly.
The hamlet of Lyng Eastaugh lies to the east of the main village near to Weston Longville. It houses the ruins of a nunnery called St. Edmund's Chapel. The settlement was dissolved in 1176 when the nunnery moved to St. George's Nunnery, Thetford.
The ruined church of St Edmund Lyng is described by Simon Knott http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/lyngedmund/lyngedmund.htm is the church of a Benedictine convent.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Mitford 1837-1938
- East Dereham 1939-1974
Lyng, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lyng, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 374
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438855.
Poor Law Unions
Records of the Mitford and Launditch Poor Law Union1776-1948
Norfolk Record Office C/GP 14
Extent 137 pieces
The following parishes comprised the 1836 union: Bawdeswell, Beeston, Beetley, Billingford, East Bilney, Bintry, Brisley, Bylaugh, Colkirk, Cranworth, East Dereham, Great Dunham, Little Dunham, North Elmham, Elsing, Foxley, Great Fransham, Little Fransham, Garvestone, Gately, Gressenhall, Guist, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Horningtoft, Kempstone, Letton, East Lexham, West Lexham, Litcham, Longham, Lyng, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, Mileham, Oxwick with Pattesley, Reymerstone, Rougham, Scarning, Shipdham, Southburgh, Sparham, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Thuxton, Tittleshall, East Tuddenham, North Tuddenham, Twyford, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, Westfield, Whinburgh, Whissonsett, Wood Rising, Worthing, Yaxham.
All fifty parishes of Mitford and Launditch Hundreds were incorporated in 1775 under the terms of An act for the better relief and employment of the poor within the hundreds of Mitford and Launditch, 15 Geo. III, cap. 59. In 1801 the parish of East Dereham separated from the Incorporation, but in 1836 all fifty original parishes plus ten from Eynesford Hundred joined together in a new union. The House of Industry belonging to the old incorporation, built at Gressenhall in 1776-1777, was repaired and altered in 1836 to become the new Union Workhouse. Mitford and Launditch Union Board of Guardians was replaced by Guardians Committee No. 10 in 1930.
Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lyng on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- Lyng on Britsh Listed Buildings
- Norfolk churches website
- Norfolk Baptism project
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 198-203. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- ↑ 'National Burial Index - Norfolk Coverage,' findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 16 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 22:25.
- This page has been accessed 3,889 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News