Macon County, North CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Macon County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Macon County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Macon County Courthouse
Franklin, NC 28734-3005
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and court records Macon County was recreated from Haywood in 1828
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Many records are missing. For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Oconee County, South Carolina
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Towns County, Georgia
The Macon County Historical Society is planning to release a compilation of the county's cemetery surveys in book form.
Western North Carolina and Northeast Georgia Obituaries and Headstones 
- Macon County Census Resources - via the NCGenWeb Project
For tips on accessing Macon County, North Carolina census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Macon County students at NC Colleges - list of names of students with hometowns in Macon county provided in various yearbooks; via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
:- 1st Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company K
:- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
:- 7th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
- Macon County Wills, 1830-1966 - index of wills held at the NC State Library
- 1829-1927 - Will Books (1829-1927) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Macon County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Macon County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Macon County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Nathaniel Macon", Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 December 2014, at 17:42.
- This page has been accessed 7,446 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page