Macon County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Macon County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Macon County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Macon County Courthouse
Franklin, NC 28734-3005
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and court records Macon County was recreated from Haywood in 1828
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Many records are missing. For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Oconee County, South Carolina
- Rabun County, Georgia
- Towns County, Georgia
The Macon County Historical Society is planning to release a compilation of the county's cemetery surveys in book form.
Western North Carolina and Northeast Georgia Obituaries and Headstones 
- Macon County Census Resources - via the NCGenWeb Project
For tips on accessing Macon County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Macon County students at NC Colleges - list of names of students with hometowns in Macon county provided in various yearbooks; via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
:- 1st Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company K
:- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
:- 7th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1861 - 1865 North Carolina, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Macon County Wills, 1830-1966 - index of wills held at the NC State Library
- 1829-1927 - Will Books (1829-1927) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Macon County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Macon County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the national USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Macon County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Nathaniel Macon", Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This North Carolina-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 23 March 2015, at 20:34.
- This page has been accessed 8,404 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More