Madison County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||September 30, 1836|
|Address|| Madison County Courthouse|
1 Main Street; PO Box 37;
Huntsville, AR 72740-0037
Madison County Courthouse
1 Main Street; PO Box 37;
Huntsville, AR 72740-0037
County Clerk has marriage and probate records from 1901
- 1836--Madison County was created 30 September 1836 from Washington County. County seat: Huntsville 
See an interactive map of Madison County boundary changes.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Madison County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Madison County on page 191.]
- Men from Madison County served in the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Union).*
*Arkansas. Adjutant General's Office.Report of the Adjutant General of Arkansas, for the period of the late rebellion, and to November 1, 1866,Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990 .
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1901-1951 - Madison County Marriage Books G-M Index 1901-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1901-1927 - Madison County Marriage Index 1901-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 1,552 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More