Madison County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
112 N John Wayne Dr. Winterset, Iowa 50273
1846--Madison County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Mahaska County prior to organization 19 February 1849. County seat: Winterset 
For an early history of the county go to the following link:
1875 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Township Map of 1875 Madison County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
Regiments. Service men in Madison County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County, Iowa:
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company E
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Madison - Probate records.
iagenweb.org/madison/probate_records/probate_index.html (U.S. GenWeb)
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
 (Information on birth records, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Birth Index, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/birth_records/birth_rec_idx.html (Marriage Index, U.S. GenWeb)
iagenweb.org/madison/death_records/death_rec_index.html (Death Index, U.S. GenWeb)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Knoxville Iowa Family History Center 1800 W Jackson, Knoxville IA 50138
- Family History Library Catalog
- Madison County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- iagenweb.org/madison/ (Madison Co., Iowa U.S.GenWeb)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 21 February 2014, at 03:10.
- This page has been accessed 2,757 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More