Madison County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Places / Localities
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
For tips on accessing Madison County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Land and Property Records
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Madison County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Madison County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Madison County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Madison County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company I - Madison Rifles
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company A - Ridley’s Battery, aka Jackson Light Artillery
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Kyle’s Company
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company F - Povall’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company H - Semmes Rifles
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Madison County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1830-1912 - Madison County Marriage Books F-Z Index 1830-1912 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 01:47.
- This page has been accessed 1,685 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More