Madison County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madison County, North Carolina ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Madison County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Madison County Courthouse
P O Box 66
Marshall, NC 28753
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, death burial and land records
Clerk Superopr Court has divorce, probate and court records from 1851
For animated maps illustrating North Carolina county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation North Carolina County Boundary Maps" (1664-1965) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in North Carolina counties see: North Carolina Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Freedman Bank Records, 1865-1874 - search this freely available database for bank records of African-American individuals. This database includes records from all 29 branches of the bank. North Carolina bank locations included Wilmington, Raleigh & New Bern.
For tips on accessing Madison County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
- Mars Hill College yearbooks - from 1917-2011; digitized by the NC Digital Heritage Center
- Madison County College Students - a name list of students at various NC colleges with identified hometowns in the county
- Military records at the Madison County NCGenWeb Archives
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry
- - 16th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, Company B
:- 2nd Battalion, North Carolina Infantry, Company H
:- 5th Battalion, North Carolina Cavalry, Company A
:- 5th Regiment, North Carolina Senior Reserves, Company G
:- 7th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, Company D
- Madison county newspapers - a listing of newspapers published in the county & libraries that hold them; via the Library of Congress. If you find a paper of interest on microfilm, you may be able to request it via Interlibrary Loan with your local public library.
- Madison County residents in the newspaper - name listing of people from the county as located in misc. newspaper articles; time span varies. Articles indexed in the NC People in the Papers database.
- See the "Deaths" category in the Vital Records section for information on obituaries
- 1851-1952 - Will Books A to C (1851-1952) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Wills and Estate records of Madison County - on the NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of vital records can be ordered for a small fee from the Register of Deeds. Please visit their website for more information.
- 1800 - 2000 North Carolina Birth Index 1800-2000 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1866 - 1964 North Carolina Births and Christenings 1866-1964 at FamilySearch.org — index
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 - search this database of marriages from across the state - images included; via FamilySearch
- Madison County marriages - may be included throughout Carrie Broughton's 6-volume index of the Raleigh Register & State Gazette newspaper (1799-1893). Marriages are listed by year and PDF files are searchable. Available on the North Carolina Digital Collections website
- 1851-1969 - Madison County Marriage Books 1-4 Index 1851-1969. Batch M752094 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1741 - 2004 North Carolina Marriage Index 1741-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1759 - 1979North Carolina Marriages 1759-1979 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1762 - 1969North Carolina County Marriages 1762-1969 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- Obituaries from The Record and The French Broad News - being placed online by the Madison County Genealogical Society; an ongoing project.
- Madison County deaths - list of county area deaths reported in various newspapers; dates range from late 1700s to 1900s.
- 1898 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1906-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1908 - 2004 North Carolina Death Indexes 1908-2004 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1909-1975 North Carolina Death Certificates 1909-1975 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1931 - 1994North Carolina Deaths 1931-1994 at FamilySearch.org — index
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Madison County, NC History, Records, Facts and Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Madison County, NCGenWeb - free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Madison County, North Carolina. Page 510 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/9/91/Iginorthcarolinag.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 13 April 2015, at 16:28.
- This page has been accessed 9,230 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More