Madron, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Madron, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Madron Church.jpg contributor Tony Atkin
|Poor Law Union||Penzance PLU|
|Parish registers: 1577|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1597|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
MADRON (St. Madern), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall. The Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans have places of worship. 
Madron is an Ancient Parish St Madron), (Cornish: Eglosvadern), with Morvah is situated in the Deanery of Penwith, and in the western division of the Hundred of Penwith. Morvah, Cornwall was a chapelry of Madron.Other places in the parish include: Boswarthen, Heamoor, Little Bosullow, Polminnick, Tregavara, and Trezelah.
The church is dedicated to Madron (or Madrona) (in local dialect "Maddern"). The word Modron appears in Cornish and Welsh literature, Modron being the mother goddess, mother of Mabon (after whom the parish and village of St Mabyn, Cornwall is named)
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Madron, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Madron, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference P 133/
The current images displayed are in error, some images for St Mary Penzance (P 179) St Paul Penzance (P180) and St John Penzance( P181) have been loaded in error and await correction by engineers.
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/madron.php
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Madron.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241265.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 208-216. Date accessed: 06 March 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013. Described as 'Penzance Madron.'
- ↑ George Bown Millett, ed., The First Book of the Parish Registers of Madron, in the County of Cornwall (Penzance: Beare and Son, 1877). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- ↑ George Bown Millett, ed., The First Book of the Parish Registers of Madron, in the County of Cornwall (Penzance: Beare and Son, 1877). Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 29 April 2014, at 04:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,760 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki