Maidstone Family History Centre, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We are a small Family History centre offering FREE access to sites such as Ancestry.com, My Heritage and other research sites. We also have 206 permanent micro films on site. A list is available on the film ordering site.
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 76B London Rd, MAIDSTONE, ME16 0DR, UNITED KINGDOM
- There is a large car park including blue badge spaces near the entrance to the building which has level access throughout.
- Location on Map
Phone: +44 0 162-275 7811
- Wednesday 10-12 noon and 7-9 pm
- Thursday 10-12 noon and 7-9 pm
Seasonal holiday closures during August and for Christmas and New Year
Calendar and Events
Maidstone Family History Day
5 July 2014
10 am onwards
Please visit www.lds.org/familyhistoryfair to register
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalogue.
- We have a collection of microfilm on indefinite loan; please contact the Centre for further information during opening hours.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view this collection using the portal.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Centre is equipped with 4 film readers, 2microfiche readers and a printer to print image copies from microform. It also has three computer and printers. Two with access to Ancestry.com.
We aim to offer a local resource for research and volunteer service opportunity in the Maidstone and wider Kent area for anyone who wishes to use FamilySearch equipment to advance their research. The local Kent History and Library Centre offers an additional local Library resource for local and family history, which is a major archive for the county. See Kent Archives
Resources in the Local Area
From Spring 2012 material formerly held at Centre for Kentish Studies,County Hall,Maidstone,Kent ME14 1XX is available at Kent History and Library Centre see Kent Archives which also enables a search of the catalogue for Kent Archives material deposited at Canterbury Cathedral Archives.
We are a local FamilySearch Centre and aim to offer the facilities of FamilySearch resources to those resident or travelling to Maidstone.
Volunteer at the Centre
If you have an interest in family history and experience of research we would welcome your assistance and service. Please contact the Centre during opening hours for further details. We would like to extend opening hours but are dependent on volunteer help to do so and to improve our facilities and service to the local community and those with an interest in seeking their ancestors in Kent.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:00.
- This page has been accessed 3,441 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki