Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007 .
The collection consists of images of records from several cemeteries in Knox County, Maine for the years 1800 to 2007. The collection currently includes cemeteries from the Town of Thomaston.
Cemeteries begin keeping records as soon as they are opened. The purchase of a burial plot is a land transaction and is recorded with a deed. Cemetery records are kept as a permanent record of who was buried and usually who purchased the burial plot. The information in these records is usually reliable, but depends upon the reliability of the informant.
For an alphabetical list of names currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
The key genealogical facts of these records may include the following:
- Name of Cemetery
- Location of grave(s) including Section and Lot number
- Names of all individuals in burial plot
- Date of death
- Designation if grave is a veteran's grave
- Designation whether plot is full or half
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Name of the deceased
- Identifying information such as the death date
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒ Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the appropriate "County"
⇒ Select the appropriate "Record Type, Date Range and Volume" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s burial record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Burial records are often brief so it can be easy confuse individuals. Compare what is information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the burial record for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with your relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative's name to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person with the same surname. This is especially helpful for rural areas or unusual surnames.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person with a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Maine, Knox items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Maine Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Knox County, Maine.|
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Maine, Knox County Cemetery Records, ca. 1800-2007." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Joan Linscott, Thomaston.
- This page was last modified on 19 August 2014, at 18:17.
- This page has been accessed 2,547 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki