Maine GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several guides to place names of Maine have been published. These include:
- Attwood, Stanley Bearce. The Length and Breadth of Maine. Orono, Me.: University of Maine, 1977. FHL Book 974.1 E5a. This comprehensive volume lists and describes towns and cemeteries. It includes names of townships and their present-day counterparts. Also includes maps and illustrations.
- United States Office of Geographic Research. Maine Geographic Names: Alphabetical Finding List. Reston, Va.: U.S. Geological Survey, 1985. FHL Book 974.1 E5u. This source lists alphabetically the geographic names of towns, ponds, rivers, streams, islands, cemeteries, bays, and so forth, with reference to the counties where each is located. The location is also shown on topographical maps.
- Varney, George J. A Gazetteer of the State of Maine. Boston, Mass.: B. B. Russell, 1881. FHL Book 974.1 E5v; Film 599175 item 2; Fiche 6046702. This alphabetical list of towns in Maine includes the history, description, and location of each town.
- Historical Records Survey (Maine). Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine. FHL Book 974.1 E5h; Film 09742. This handbook of incorporation, dissolutions, and boundary changes describes the location of each town. It is arranged alphabetically by town.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2012, at 02:56.
- This page has been accessed 1,677 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki