Maine PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
In addition to periodicals for the New England area, the major periodicals and magazines helpful for Maine research are:
- Downeast Ancestry. 1977-. Published by News-Journal, 60 Court Street, Machias, Maine 04654. FHL Book 974.1 D25d. This is a quarterly magazine about Maine families, genealogies, and histories. It includes vital records and town events.
- The Maine Seine. 1980-. Farmington, Maine: Maine Genealogical Society, 1980-1990. See Maine Archives and Libraries for the address. FHL Book 974.1 D25ms. This is the quarterly magazine of the Maine Genealogical Society. It includes various family histories and Bible and vital records. This is continued by the Maine Genealogist with the same call number.
- The Bangor Historical Magazine, 1885-1894. Reprint. Ten Volumes in Four. Camden, Maine: Picton Press, 1993. FHL Book 974.1 H25b 1993; FHL Films 1033914 item 2-3, 547193 item 2-4. This magazine is continued by The Maine Historical Magazine. It contains vital records, town records, genealogies, and information on various towns, people, and events.
The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. 1847-. Published by the New England Historic Genealogical Society. See Maine Archives and Libraries for address. Digital version at American Ancestors ($); FHL Book 974 B2ne; CD 33 part 1-9; some volumes on film. This periodical has a cumulative index to 1995. It includes genealogies, vital record extracts, church records, local genealogical histories, and New England source material.
Indexes. Most of the periodicals listed above have annual indexes in the final issue of each year. For nationwide indexes to these and other family history periodicals, see:
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI). Ft. Wayne, Indiana: Allen County Public Library Foundation, 1987-. FHL Book 973 D25per; FHL Fiche 6016863 set of 40 (1847-1995); FHL Fiche 6016864 [set of 15 (1986-1990]. This source indexes thousands of English-language and French-Canadian family history periodicals. Annual indexes have been published yearly since 1986. For further details see the article on the PERiodical Source Index Resource Guide.
For more family history periodicals, see the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MAINE - PERIODICALS
MAINE - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
MAINE - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
MAINE, [COUNTY] - PERIODICALS
MAINE, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
MAINE, [COUNTY] - SOCIETIES - PERIODICALS
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:06.
- This page has been accessed 3,352 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News