Marchington, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marchington, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Uttoxeter PLU|
|Parish registers: 1612|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1667|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
MARCHINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Hanbury, union of Uttoxeter, N. division of the hundredof Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4 miles(S. E. by E.) from Uttoxeter.
Marchington is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Staffordshire, created in 1739 from chapelry in Hanbury Ancient Parish. Other places in the parish include: Marchington Woodlands.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Marchington St Peter was formed in 1739 a former chaplery of Hanbury, Staffordshire
Marchington parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|MARCHINGTON PARISH Online Records|
|FMP||1612-1670, 1749-1897||1612-1670, 1749-1897||1612-1669, 1750-1843||1612-1669, 1750-1843||1612-1901||1612-1901|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1612-1979 Mar 1612-1985 Bur 1612-1968 (partially Bishop's transcripts
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1667-1868 Mar 1667-1884 Bur 1667-1868 Missing Bap/Mar/Bur 1838-1840, Bap/Bur 1845-1858
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Marchington, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474613.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 253-257. Date accessed: 02 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2014, at 20:29.
- This page has been accessed 974 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki