Maries County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Maries County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Maries County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||March 2, 1855|
|Address|| Maries County Courthouse|
PO Box 205
Vienna, MO 65582
Maries County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1873,
divorce and court records from 1866, land records
from 1855 and school records from 1911; Probate
Division has probate records from 1880
- See an interactive map of Maries County border changes at N2Genealogy.
To see a list of places in Maries County, click on [Show], in the bar above.
Osage County Historical Society has information on historic places from Gasconade, Maries & Osage Counties including sources and links to historic maps. Also see: Missouri Place Names, 1928-1945. (State Historical Society of Missouri)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Maries County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Missouri Local Histories
- Biographies from The History of Maries County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- Maps of townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Maries County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Maries County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Maries County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Jefferson City newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Maries County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883 - Maries County Death Index 1883. Batch B515402 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Maries County, Missouri. Page 402 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 June 2013, at 15:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,744 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More