Marion County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marion County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marion County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 3, 1835|
|Address|| Marion County Courthouse|
Hwy 62; PO Box 545
Yellville, AR 72687
Marion County Courthouse
Hwy 62; PO Box 545
Yellville, AR 72687
County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1888.
The ARGenweb Project has information on The Burning of the Courthouse, How to Order Copies from the Courthouse and more.
Timeline of Marion Co's history including boundary changes.
See an interactive map of Marion County boundary changes.
Townships - formation and changes: argenweb.net/marion/marioncoinfo/marion-co-ar-post-offices.html
Link to available resources for Marion Co: argenweb.net/marion/resources/index.html
Link to cemetery location maps and cemeteries in Marion Co: argenweb.net/marion/cemetery/index.html. Before Bull Shoals Dam was built the Corp of Engineers inventoried and moved many cemeteries. A list of the cemeteries moved, information from tombstones and information on the cemetery the interments were moved to are found in this section. Pleasant Ridge cemetery's burials and, when available, obituaries are also found here.
Abstracts of Marion Co Census Records: argenweb.net/marion/census/index.html
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Index to Deed Records: argenweb.net/marion/transcribedrecords/deedindexes.htm
Original land owners & plats: argenweb.net/marion/maps/landowners/index.html
- Family lines & history: argenweb.net/marion/census/index.html
- Transcription of Earl Berry's "History of Marion County, AR": argenweb.net/marion/history/index.html
- Photos of individuals, families, unknown people, places, etc: argenweb.net/marion/photos/index.html
- History of Marion Co's Post Offices: argenweb.net/marion/marioncoinfo/marion-co-ar-post-offices.html
- A hodge-podge of stories & miscellaneous information about Marion Co: argenweb.net/marion/stories/index.html
Local histories are available for Marion County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union) and the 7th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, and 1st Cavalry Battalion (Regiment), Arkansas Cavalry (Stirman's) (Cavalry)
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Marion County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Abstracts from Mt Echo Newspapers: argenweb.net/marion/newspapers/index.html
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- Marriage information taken from old newspapers and those submitted by individuals: argenweb.net/marion/marriage/howtoqry.htm
- 1888-1957 - Marion County Marriage Books E-P Index 1888-1957 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1888-1923 - Marion County Marriage Books F-J Index 1888-1923 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Link to obituaries: marion/obits/index.html. Includes obituaries or death information found in early newspapers from the 1800s and 1900s, plus current obituaries beginning in 2000.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Marion Co AR USGenWeb Project
- Family History Library Catalog
- Marion County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ "Francis Marion," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, The Seventh Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988) FHL book 976.7 M22adw
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,389 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More