Marion County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marion County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marion County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||9 December, 1811|
|Address|| Marion County Courthouse|
250 Broad St Ste 2
Columbia, MS 39429
Marion County Courthouse]
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Marion County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page. LDS Ward and Branch Records
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Marion County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Marion County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Marion County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marion County.
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Jeff Davis Sharpshooters
- Company F - Marion’s Men
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Marion County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Marion County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Marion County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1812-1930 - Marion County Marriage Books 1-18 Index 1812-1930 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Marion County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marion County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Francis Marion," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 22 September 2014, at 19:17.
- This page has been accessed 7,029 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki