Marion County Genealogical ClubEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Marion County Genealogical Club|
What are the benefits for becoming a member of the society?
What are the benefits the society has to offer for those who are not members?
Benefits for members:
- Receiving quarterly newsletters
- Ability to publish your queries in the quarterly newsletter
- Ability to publish your Surnames in the quarterly newsletter and have them added them to the Surnames Registry.
Benefits for members and non-members:
Free use of the books and collections while visiting the Genealogy Room
For those new to genealogy research, we offer a 4-page handout - -
- Page 1 - titled "Your Family Tree" with a short paragraph on each of the following: Where do you begin?; Pedigree Chart; Research Log; Census Records; Family Group Records.
- Page 2 - Five Generation Ancestor Chart form
- Page 3 - Instructions and tips for filling out the Five Generation Chart
- Page 4 - A Research Log Form.
After you fill-out the "Five Generation Ancestor Chart" form with as much information as you know about your direct ancestors, you can contact us and request a one-on-one meeting in our Genealogy Room (in The Marion County Public Library) with one of the volunteers who will help you learn how to use the information in the room to further your research.
Note: You can pick up the 4-page handout in the Genealogy Room in the Marion County Public Library the next time you visit there, or you can email and request a .pdf file for the 4 pages.
History of the society
- President: David Rowand
- Vice President: Thomas Martin
- Secretary: Leah King
- Treasurer: Eleanor Carter
- Taking digital photos of local cemeteries and updating cemetery lists.
FamilySearch Wiki Projects
FamilySearch Wiki Page Adoptions
- Through the sale of publications, the club has been able to purchase many publications from throughout the state of West Virginia and surrounding states including census records and vital statistics including births, deaths, marriages, and cemetery records. Our shelves also contain county histories, general genealogical information and material from surrounding states.
- Our Newsletter, “Genealogy Gleanings” is published quarterly (March, June, September, and December) and mailed to club members.
- Board Meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of every month (weather permitting). The time of the meeting varies from afternoon to evening depending on board members schedules and the weather.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. What are the directions to the society?
- The Marion County Genealogical Club is located in the "Genealogy Room" of the Marion County Public Library; 321 Monroe Street; Fairmont, WV 26554; Phone: 304-366-1210 ext. 12
- Q. What are the society's hours of operation?
- Hours the Genealogy Room is open: Monday (10am-6pm); Tuesday thru Saturday (10am-2pm)
- This page was last modified on 16 February 2014, at 01:57.
- This page has been accessed 888 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki