Marshall County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marshall County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marshall County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
|Address|| Marshall County Courthouse|
1 E Main St
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Marshall County Website
Picture of the courthouse at:
1846--Marshall County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Jasper and Linn Counties prior to organization 1 October 1849. County seat: Marshalltown 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
611 North Center Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158-1618
Rose Hill Memorial Gardens
602 Iowa Avenue Ease
(Iowa Avenue is old Highway 30)
Marshalltown, IA 50158-4779
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Marshalltown, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Marshall County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
Regiments. Service men in Marshall County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County, Iowa:
- - 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company B
- - 4th Independent Battery, Iowa Light Artillery,
- - 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
- - 11th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 44th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
- - 11th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company B
:- 44th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
:- 5th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Marshall - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Marshalltown Iowa Family History Center 703 S12th St., Marshalltown, IA 50158 United States Location Map
- Marshall County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Marshall County Genealogical Society
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Marshall County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 05:11.
- This page has been accessed 5,021 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki