Marshall County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marshall County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marshall County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 25, 1879|
|Address|| Marshall County Courthouse|
208 E Colvin Avenue
Warren, MN 56762
Marshall County Website
Court Administrator has birth, marriage and death records from 1882,
divorce and probate records from 1891 and court records.
County Recorder has land records from 1883 and military records from 1919. 
- 1879--Marshall County was created 25 February 1879 from Kittson County. County seat: Warren 
- For a brief history of how Marshall County was named, click here, then select Marshall County.
- Grand Forks County, North Dakota
- Pembina County, North Dakota
- Walsh County, North Dakota
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
- Records of Nazareth Lutheran Church, Holt, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Marshall – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Marshall County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Marshall County, Minnesota (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Marshall County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, Minnesota page 366, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 3,791 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki