Marshall County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Marshall County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Marshall County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||9 February, 1836|
|County Seat||Holly Springs|
|Address|| Marshall County Courthouse|
PO Box 219;
Holly Springs, MS 38635
Marshall County Courthouse]
1836--Marshall County was created 9 February 1836 from the Chickasaw Cession.
County seat: Holly Spring 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Some early records are lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- Emery Cemetery, Byhalia BillionGraves
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index
For tips on accessing Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Matthews, Paul A. Early Families of the Memphis Area: Profiles of 135 Families of Fayette, Shelby and Tipton Counties in Tennessee, Crittenden County, Arkansas and DeSoto and Marshall Counties in Mississippi: With Historical Time Lines and Photogrpahs of Those Counties. Memphis, Tennessee: Descendants of Early Settlers of Shelby and Adjoining Counties, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976 D2m.
- Clayton, Alexander M. Centennial Address on the History of Marshall County. Washington, D.C., 1880.
- A Chapter In the History of the Epidemic of 1878 From Private Memoranda. Holly Springs, Miss.: Published by request, 1879
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- Civil War service men from Marshall County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Marshall County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company A - Walker Reserves
- Company F - Alcorn Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company F - Reason’s Company
- - 3rd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company E - Richmond’s Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company G - McKissack’s Company
- Company K - Bowles’ Company, aka McEwen’s Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company B - Home Guards
- Company D - Jeff Davis Rifles
- Company F - Quitman Rifle Guards
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company F - Capt. Keith’s Company
- Company K - Capt. Monroe’s Company
These are the newspapers that have been published in Marshall County, according to Chronicling America's US Newspaper Directory:
Democratic Banner. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1853-18??
Empire Democrat. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1854-18??
The Guard. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1842-1846
The Byhalia Journal. (Byhalia, Miss.) 1883-1899
The Light. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 197?-1976
Marshall Democrat. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1855-18??
Marshall Jeffersonian. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1851-18??
The Marshall Messenger. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1976-Current
The North Mississippian. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 18??-18??
Mississippi Palladium. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1851-1852
The Reporter. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1891-1893
Marshall County Republican. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1839-18??
Pigeon Roost News. (Byhalia, Miss.) 1982-Current
South-Reporter. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1920-Current
The Independent South. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1861-18??
The Independent South. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1871-1873
The South. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1896-1919
The Southern Banner. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1839-1839
Southern Herald. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1857-1???
Southern Banner. (Holly Springs, Miss.) 1841-1841
See Chronicling America to find the libraries and institutions that hold copies or microfilm of these newspapers.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Marshall County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1836-1860 - Marshall County Marriage Index 1836-1860. Batch M520141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1860-1870 - Marshall county Marriage Index 1860-1870. Batch M520142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1873 - Marshall County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1870-1873. Batch M520143 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1877 - Marshall County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1873-1877. Batch M520144 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1880 - Marshall County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1877-1880. Batch M520145 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1885 - Marshall County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1880-1885. Batches M520146 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1890 - Marshall County Marriage Books 9 thru 10 Index 1885-1890. Batch M520147 and M520148 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1890-1895 - Marshall County Marriage Books 11 thru 13 Index 1890-1895. Batch M520149 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1899 - Marshall County Marriage Books 14 and 15 Index 1894-1899. Batches M714241 and M749070 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1903 - Marshall County Marriage Books 16 and 17 Index 1899-1903. Batch M749080 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1903-1905 - Marshall County Marriage Book 18 Index 1903-1905. Batch M749053 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1905-1908 - Marshall County Marriage Books 19 and 20 Index 1905-1908. Batch M749026 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1908-1912 - Marshall County Marriage Books 21 and 22 Index 1908-1912. Batch M749048 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1916 - Marshall County Marriage Books 23 and 24 Index 1912-1916. Batch M749051 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1891-1952 Will records, 1891-1952 Viewable
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Marshall County Historical Society
220 E College Ave
Holly Springs 38635-3122
Marshall County Genealogical Society
109 E. Gholson Avenue
Holly Springs MS 38635
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Marshall County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Marshall County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2015, at 13:27.
- This page has been accessed 10,818 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News