Martins Brandon Parish, VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Martin's Brandon Parish has served Charles City and Prince George counties. Merchant's Hope Church was part of Martin's Brandon Parish from 1720 until it became a part of St. John's Parish in Hopewell.
"An Act to divide those parts of the Parishes of Westover and Weynoake, which lie on the South side James River, from those parts of the said Parishes which lie on the North side the said River; and for uniting Westover and Weynoake Parishes; on the South side James River, to Martin Brandon Parish, in the County of Prince George; and for erecting a Chapel in Bristol Parish, in the said County" (1720) culled from sources in London, is published in:
- Chamberlayne, Churchill G. "Seven Parish Acts Heretofore Unpublished," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 18, No. 1 (Jan. 1938):106-118. FHL Book 973 H25w; digital version at JSTOR ($).
- Robbins, Gus. Merchants Hope Church: Erected in 1657, Oldest Protestant Church Still Standing in America and Used As a House of Worship: Prince George County, Virginia. 1970s. FHL Book 975.5 A1 no. 159.
Colonial parish registers have been lost, with the exception of one year of records (1660):
- "Early Records of Charles City County," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Jan. 1896):167-169. Digital version at JSTOR - free.
- ↑ Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- ↑ William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- ↑ Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 183-188.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:15.
- This page has been accessed 3,926 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More