Maryland BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Many state and county history books include biographical sketches of their citizens.
Among other resources, the Maryland Historical Society has a Genealogical Index which is a card index to several collections in their library. It is described in more detail at their website.
The "Biography File" at the Enoch Pratt Free Library is a 180-drawer card index to newspaper clippings, local histories, and periodicals from the 1800s and 1900s.
Guides to biographical sketches include:
- Andrusko, Samuel M. Maryland Biographical Sketch Index. Volume 1. Silver Spring, Md.: Samuel M. Andrusko, 1983. FHL Book 975.2 D3a. This indexes over 10,500 biographical sketches.
- Passano, Eleanor Phillips. An Index to Source Records of Maryland: genealogical, biographical, historical Baltimore, Md: Genealogical Pub., 1967. Reprint. Original published 1910. FHL Book 975.2 D22p 1967. This is an excellent index to biographical and genealogical information. A portion of the book can viewed at Google Books.
- Indexes to the Maryland Historical Magazine give references to numerous biographical sketches.
The following are examples of helpful collections of biographical information:
- Papenfuse, Edward C., et al. A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, Two Volumes. Baltimore, Md.: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1979, 1985. FHL Book 975.2 N2p This dictionary has considerable information on early Maryland families.
- Spencer, Richard Henry. Genealogical and Memorial Encyclopedia of the State of Maryland. . . Two Volumes. New York, N.Y.: The American Historical Society, 1919. FHL Book 975.2 D3s; Film 1000060 items 1-2; Fiche 6046929. This work contains three- to four-page biographical sketches.
- Men of Mark in Maryland: Biographies of Leading Men in the State. Four Volumes. Washington, D.C.: Johnson-Wynne Co., 1907-12. FHL Book 975.2 D3m. This work contains three- to four-page biographical sketches.
- Biographical Cyclopedia of Representative Men of Maryland and District of Columbia. Baltimore, Md.: National Biographical Publishing Co., 1879. FHL Book 975 D3b; Film 1000059 item 3.
- This page was last modified on 12 September 2012, at 01:21.
- This page has been accessed 3,441 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page