Maryland NewspapersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Newspaper publication in Maryland began in 1727 with the release of the Maryland Gazette in Annapolis.
Resources for Maryland Newspapers
Libraries and Archives
The following libraries have Maryland newspaper collections on site.
The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- Maryland State Archives (free) online collection covers the Maryland Gazette (1728-1839), and a dozen nineteenth-century newspapers.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of Maryland newspapers online. This database is free at some libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Ancestry.com ($) has over 20 historical Maryland newspapers.
- University of Pennsylvania (free) has links to a handful of free historical Maryland newspapers online.
- 1790-1799 - The Maryland Herald is available online at Google News - free.
- RootsWeb Obituary Daily Times (free) has a searchable database of over 14 million modern-day obituaries extracted by volunteers. Most are from 2000 or later, but some date back to the 1980s.
- ABYZ Newslinks (free) has a directory of links to over 140 Maryland newspapers online organized by city.
- OnlineNewspapers.com (free) links to over 110 Maryland newspapers online.
- SHG Resources State Handbook & Guide (free) links to over 30 current Maryland newspapers online.
- Barnes, Robert W. Gleanings from Maryland Newspapers. Four Volumes. Lutherville, Maryland: Bettie Carothers, 1975-76. (ISBN: none) (OCLC;8196057) (FHL book 975.2 V2ba v. 2; film 928166 item 7) This work covers 1727 to 1795.
- Barnes, Robert W. Marriages and Deaths from the Maryland Gazette, 1727-1839. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1973. (ISBN 0806305800) (ISBN 0806305800);(OCLC;28916982) (FHL book 975.2 V2b)
- Green, Karen Mauer. The Maryland Gazette, 1727- 1761: Genealogical and Historical Abstracts. Galveston, Texas: Frontier, 1989. (ISBN 0932231071); (FHL book 975.2 D2g)
- Maryland newspapers are identified county-by-county in "Guide to Maryland Newspapers," available online, courtesy: Special Collections, Maryland State Archives.
- Hofstetter, Eleanore O. and Marcella S. Eustis. Newspapers in Maryland Libraries: A Union List. Baltimore, Maryland: Division of Library Development Services, Maryland State Department of Education, 1977. (ISBN: none) (OCLC 3160087) (FHL Book 975.2 B33h; fiche 6046965)
- White, Les, et al. Newspapers in Maryland: A Guide to the Microfilm Collection of Newspapers at the Maryland State Archives. Annapolis, Maryland: Maryland State Archives, 1990. (ISBN: none) (OCLC 19906122, 23530179, 23140665) (FHL book 975.2 B33s)
Family History Library
To locate newspapers in the Family History Library's collection which pertain to a large part of Maryland, click here The Family History Library is not actively collecting newspapers of the United States.
- ↑ Telephone interview of Ken Nelson by Michael Ritchey. Salt Lake City, 8 December 2008. Ken is a member of the Family History Library's Collection Management team. He said that although the library would not turn down a free microfilm of a U.S. newspaper, newspaper collections are not currently part of the acquisition profile for U.S. places, and haven't been for some years.
- This page was last modified on 19 September 2012, at 22:17.
- This page has been accessed 3,782 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More