MassachusettsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|News and Events|
|New England Historic Geneal. Soc. events|
see the Massachusetts Genealogy Guide page.
Welcome to the Massachusetts page,
the Bay State
- New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS)
- Published BMDs of 215 towns to 1850
- Large number of family histories
- Mayflower, & Great Migration records
- Congregational Church records
- Warnings out town records
|How to Find Information about Massachusetts Ancestors|
For a list of the cities and towns of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with the dates of when they were settled, when incorporated as a town and, if applicable, when incorporated as a city, as well as the county in which there are located, see Massachusetts City and Town Incorporation and Settlement Dates.
New England Historic Genealogical Society · American Antiquarian Society · Massachusetts State Archives · Massachusetts Historical Society · State Library of Massachusetts · Berkshire Athenaeum · Boston Public Library · Dedham Historical Society Library · Haverhill Public Library · Houghton Library Harvard University · Jones Library · Onondaga Historical Association Library · Peabody Essex Museum · Plymouth Public Library · Springfield History Library and Archives · University of Massachusetts Amherst Library · Vermont Historical Society · National Archives Northeast Region (Boston) · Pittsfield Federal Records Center · New York Public Library
Migration RoutesBay Road · Catskill Turnpike · Greenwood Road · Kennebunk Road · King's Highway · Boston Post Road · Massachusetts Turnpike · Mohawk Trail · Old Connecticut Path · Old Roebuck Road · Connecticut River · Atlantic Coast Ports
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts entered the Union on February 6, 1788, as the sixth state. It is governed under its original constitution, which was adopted in 1780. Boston (also known as "The Hub" and "Beantown") became the capitol city of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1632. It has served as the state capitol since 1780. For more information about the history of Massachusetts, see the Massachusetts History article.
- The Massachusetts GenWeb Project provides county information about formation date, parent county, county seat, bibliography, cemeteries, census, churches, towns, history, look ups, obituaries, queries, repositories, surname registry, and many Internet links.
- Massachusetts Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- How to order Massachusetts Vital Records
- State of Massachusetts County & City Government Court links
- Rotating Formation Massachusetts County Boundary Maps and Atlases
- Massachusetts Land Records provides access to indexes and search tools to find recorded records. Some counties have records, with images, available back to 1900.
- Massachusetts Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- List of Massachusetts Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- History & Facts of Massachusetts Counties
- Family Tree Encyclopedia - Terminology & Meanings of Genealogical Terms
- Printable Genealogy Forms used in Research
- Research in Massachusetts Military Records
- County Creation Dates and Divisions showing dates they were created or renamed and counties created from older counties.
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Massachusetts Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Birth Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetta Deaths (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts 1855 Census (FamilySearch Historical Records
- Massachusetts 1865 Census (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts, Naturalization Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts Springfield Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Massachusetts, State Vital Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Help with the Massachusetts Wiki pages
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need willing volunteers. You can help:
- Expand county articles
- Check links on pages
- ...and more
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 13 August 2014, at 20:09.
- This page has been accessed 41,837 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki