Mavesyn Ridware, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mavesyn Ridware, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
RIDWARE, MAVESYN (St. Nicholas), a parish,in the union of Lichfield, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 4¾ miles(E. by S.) from Rugeley.
Mavesyn Ridware St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire.Other places in the parish include: Blithbury, Ridware Hill, and Hill Ridware
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Staffordshire BMD have indexes for births marriages and deaths. Due to March 2011 reorganisation of the registration service for South Staffordshire districts the historical registration indexes for this district have been located at the Newcastle under Lyme registration district (formerly held at Lichfield) and applications for certificates need to be directed there. Please refer to the "Updates" page of Staffordshire BMD for further information.
Mavesyn Ridware parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|MAVESYN RIDWARE PARISH (1538) Online Records|
Deposited parish registers at Staffordshire Record Office Bap 1538-1931 Mar 1538-1990 Bur 1538-1910 (Bur missing for 1717-1771) Includes partial Bishop's Transcripts for some years
Lichfield Record Office holdings of Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1663-1868 Mar 1663-1843 Bur 1663-1868 missing Bap Mar and burials for years 1836,1853
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Parish registers for Mavesyn-Ridware, 1538-1901 Staffordshire Record Office no.: D 3712/1/1-6, D 3712/1, D4191/2-3.
Baptisms 1552-1769, 1813-1901 Marriages 1538-1650, 1663-1771 Burials 1538-1717 FHL BRITISH Film 1471184 Items 10-14 Marriages 1771-1900 Burials 1813-1900 FHL BRITISH Film 1526108 Items 1-4
Bishop's transcripts for Mavesyn-Ridware, 1663-1867 Microfilm of original records in the Staffordshire Record Office. Baptisms, marriages, and burials, 1663-1812. FHL BRITISH Film 421573 Item 3
Baptisms, marriages, and burials, 1813-1867. FHL BRITISH Film 435804
Known Issue entries for the parish in England Births and Christenings 1538-1975 duplicate erroneous entries for the event in indexing project (batch) number: C39155-1 system origin: England-VR source film number: 1526108 with incorrect place data entry for Baptismal records for Rushall, Staffordshire
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Mavesyn Ridware, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474613. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., Pipe', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 665-668. Date accessed: 02 November 2012.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 11 September 2013.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 23 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2013, at 23:22.
- This page has been accessed 655 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More