McMullen County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to McMullen County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Records from the first, short-lived organization have not survived.
Places / Localities
Calliham | Tilden
African American Resources
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Freedmen's Bureau Field Office Records, 1865-1870(images) - FamilySearch
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- McMullen County Cemeteries from the McMullen County TXGenWeb site. Listing of all the cemeteries and some photos.
- Boothill Cemetery - McMullen TXGenWeb
- Calliham Cemetery - McMullen TXGenWeb
- Hilltop Cemetery - McMullen TXGenWeb
- Latham Cemtery - McMullen TXGenWeb
- San Miguel Cemetery - McMullen TXGenWeb
- Yarbrough Bend Cemetery - McMullen TXGenWeb
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for McMullen County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- McMullen County History, 1981, by the McMullen County History Book Committee.
- McMullen County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as McMullen County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas, Probate Records, 1800-1990 (images) - FamilySearch
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas or How to order Texas Vital Records
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred, ordered electronically online or download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index)- FamilySearch
- Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- Texas, Births and Christenings, 1840-1981 - FamilySearch
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 ~ FamilySearch records collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 ~ FamilySearch record collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 ~ FamilySearch record collection
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas, Death Index, 1903-2000 ~ FamilySearch records collection
- Texas, Deaths and Burials, 1903-1973 ~ FamilySearch records collection
- Texas, Deaths, 1977-1986 ~ FamilySearch records collection
- Footnote.com ($) has Texas Death Certificates 1890-1976 available online.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 (index) - Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Index 1968-2010 ~ FamilySearch records
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- McMullen County TXGenWeb site Information on the history of the people and county.
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- USGenWeb Archives Project
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McMullen County, Texas. Page 670 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handbook of Texas Online: McMullen County http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcm09
- This page was last modified on 2 August 2014, at 19:11.
- This page has been accessed 6,519 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki