McPherson County, Kansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to McPherson County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.
|McPherson County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Address|| McPherson County Courthouse|
117 N. Maple Street
P.O. Box 425
McPherson, Kansas 67460
McPherson County, Kansas Record Dates
McPherson County Courthouse
117 N Maple St; PO Box 425;
McPherson, KS 67460
County Clerk has birth records 1874-1911,
marriage records 1887-1911, death records 1886-2922 and local census 1932.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records from 1873,
probate records from 1870 and naturalization records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for McPherson County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- For information about Civil War records see Marion County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as McPherson County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Mcpherson and click Probate records.
Indices of McPherson County, Kansas Wills and Probate Records, McPherson County Old Mill Museum
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Marriage and Divorce Records
McPherson County Research Library & Archives, McPherson County Old Mill Museum
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- McPherson County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- McPherson County Research Library & Archives, McPherson County Old Mill Museum
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), McPherson County, Kansas page 253, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 20 July 2015, at 21:32.
- This page has been accessed 6,855 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News