Meade County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Meade County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Meade County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1873|
|Address|| Meade County Courthouse|
200 N. Fowler Street
P.O. Box 278
Meade, Kansas 67864
Meade County Courthouse
200 N Fowler St; PO Box 278;
Meade, KS 67864;
Reorganized 7 Mar 1885
Probate Judge has birth, marriage, probate and court records.
City Clerk has burial record.
Clerk District Court has divorce records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1873--Meade County was created 8 January 1873 from unorganized territory. County seat: Meade 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Meade County was not organized until after the Civil War.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Meade County, Kansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Meade and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Meade County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Meade County, Kansas page 253, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 20 June 2013, at 02:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,178 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More