Melverley, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Melverley, Shropshire family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
In 1848 - MELVERLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Oswestry, N. division of the county of Shropshire, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Shrewsbury. 
The parish of Melverley originally formed part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph. However, following the disestablishment of the Anglican church in Wales in 1920, the parish was transferred to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474586. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
The following records of Melverley are available on the IGI:
|Marriages||1724-1811 & 1815-1860||M006791|
Melverley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|IARC = Internet Archive - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MLOC = Mel Lockie website - free|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|MELVERLEY PARISH (1723) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1662-1860 Marr 1662-1860 Bur 1662-1860
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Melverley was part of the Atcham Registration District on its formation in 1837. On 1 Oct 1935 Melverley was transferred to the Oswestry Registration district.
Entries for births, marriages or deaths in Melverley will appear in the GRO Indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1934||Atcham|| XVIII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Oswestry|| 6a (1935-1946)|
- This page was last modified on 9 October 2013, at 22:47.
- This page has been accessed 634 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More