Melverley, ShropshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Melverley, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Atcham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1723|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of St Asaph (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
In 1848 - MELVERLEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Atcham, hundred of Oswestry, N. division of the county of Shropshire, 11 miles (W. N. W.) from Shrewsbury. 
The parish of Melverley originally formed part of the Welsh Diocese of St Asaph. However, following the disestablishment of the Anglican church in Wales in 1920, the parish was transferred to the English Diocese of Lichfield.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474586.
The following records of Melverley are available on the IGI:
|Marriages||1724-1811 & 1815-1860||M006791|
Melverley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|MELVERLEY PARISH (1723) Online Records|
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap 1662-1860 Marr 1662-1860 Bur 1662-1860
Nonconformist Church Records
The parish of Melverley was part of the Atcham Registration District on its formation in 1837. On 1 Oct 1935 Melverley was transferred to the Oswestry Registration district.
Entries for births, marriages or deaths in Melverley will appear in the GRO Indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1934||Atcham|| XVIII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Oswestry|| 6a (1935-1946)|
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 287-291. Date accessed: 02 July 2012.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Shropshire, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 24 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 22:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,250 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page