Menominee IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started on American Indian Research
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
The Menominee Tribe is primarily associated with the state of Wisconsin.
Ancestral homeland: near Lake Michigan, Wisconsin and Michigan.
Menominee Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 910
Keshena, WI 54135-0910
- The Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin Official Website
1634: Jean Nicolet, French made contact with the Menominee
1775: Some fought agains the American in the Revolutionary War
1812: War of 1812, Some fought against the Americans
1854: gave up lands except for a reservation on Wolf River in north-central Wisconsin
1954 -1973: federal statusTerminated
1961: Menominee Tribe of Wisconsin was terminated, Tribal membership 3,270 Tribal land (Acres) 233,881
1972: Menomiee Restoration Act restored tribe
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Frederick Webb Hodge, in his Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, gave a more complete history of the Menominee tribe, with estimations of the population of the tribe at various time periods.
Menominee Reservation - Wisconsin
Payment of annunities to the Menomonee Tribe, 1872 Green Bay Agency FHL Film 1036963 Item 3
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original records||
M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|Menominee||Green Bay and Keshena, 1865-1959||Chicago||Rolls 325-36||-||Rolls 172-74, 200-09||FHL Films: 576861-576863, and FHL Film: 576889-898|
|Menominee||Menominee Agency, 1865-1959||Chicago||-||-||-||-|
Final roll of Menominee Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin FHL Film 1036963 item 2
Winnebago War (1827):
- Wisconsin soldiers who served in the Winnebago War (Wisconsin Historical Society) - Transcription of Wisconsin Muster Rolls from the Winnebago War. Lists Prairie du Chien and Green Bay militia units along with Menominee, Stockbridge and Oneida Indians that served.
Black Hawk War (1832):
- Wisconsin soldiers who served in the Black Hawk War (Wisconsin Historical Society) - Transcription of Wisconsin Muster Rolls from the Black Hawk War. Lists soldiers in the 18 companies of "Iowa" militia, plus the Menominee and Potawatomie warriors and one militia company raised at Green Bay.
- Menominee Nation News
- 1817 March 30, at St. Louis, with the Chippewa
- 1825 August 19, at Prairie du Chien, with the Sioux, Etc.,
- 1827 August 11, at Butte des Morts
- 1831 February 8, at Washington
- 1831 February 17, at Washington
- 1832 October 27,
- 1836 September 3, at Cedar Point
- 1848 October 18, at Lake Powawhaykonnay
- 1854 May 12, at Falls of Wolf River
- 1856 February 11, at Keshena
- Keshena Agency, M595, Births and Deaths 1924-1932, FHL FHL : 576894
Important Web Sites
- Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin Constitution Bylaws
- The Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin Official Website
- Menominee Tribe Wikipedia
- ↑ Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible To Receive Services From the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal Register, Vol. 67, No. 134, 12 July 2002 Available online
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
- This page was last modified on 7 May 2012, at 08:00.
- This page has been accessed 4,190 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page