Mercer County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mercer County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mercer County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 14, 1845|
|Address|| Mercer County Courthouse|
802 E Main Street
Princeton, MO 64673
Mercer County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1894 and death records
1883-1891; Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, divorce, court
land records; Circuit Court, division 2, has probate records
- A brief history of Mercer County, Missouri : its wealth, resources, &C., together with biographical sketches of many of its leading citizens
- Mercer community Mercer centennial, 1872-1972.
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- 1870-1876 - Lineville Catholic Church Baptism Index 1870-1876. Batch C511701 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1876 - Princeton Catholic Church Baptism Index 1871-1876. Batch C511521 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1883 - Princeton Catholic Church Marriage Index 1870-1883. Batch M511521 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Mercer County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Mercer County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - 35th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company C
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
:- 44th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
:- 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 4th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company I
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company M
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company I
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mercer County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1883-1894 - Mercer County Birth Index 1883-1894. Batches C515455 and C515456 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1844-1885 - Mercer County Marriage Book A Index 1844-1885. Batch M515421 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898-1932 Mercer Co. Missouri index of marriage books A, G, H, I and J listed by grooms and by brides
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1894 - Mercer County Death Index 1883-1894. Batch B515455 at FamilySearch - free.
- ?-2008 Cemetery records of Mercer County, Missouri by cemetery and by surname
- Index of Mercer County, Missouri census records 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 censues of Mercer County. Includes 1922 Atlas/Plat book Mercer Co. Mo. : with index of landowners.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Mercer County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Mercer County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Mercer County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Mercer County, Missouri. Page 403 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 14 October 2014, at 14:55.
- This page has been accessed 5,529 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki