Merton, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Wayland PLU|
|Parish registers: 1564|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1607|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
MERTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk, 2¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Watton. 
Merton St Peter is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
St. Peter's, Merton is a small, flint church with a round west tower. It was largely rebuilt around 1300; most of the windows with their very elaborate tracery date from this period, with some later, Perpendicular, additions. The tower, however, and some parts of the west and north walls may be Saxon or early Norman. Considerable restoration was carried out in the nineteenth century but, with some notable exceptions (particularly the South Porch), efforts were made to ensure that new stonework and other features were a replica of that which was being replaced. Within the last few years further restoration work has taken place, with funding from the English Heritage, The Norfolk Churches Trust and The Round Tower Churches Society.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Merton, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Merton, Norfolk Parish Online Records|
This parish's registers do not appear online at FamilySearch as no microfilm for the parish is held
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 532/1-5
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
|Baptisms 1607, 1623-1631, 1666-1811 Marriages 1607, 1623-1631, 1666-1807 Burials 1607, 1665-1811|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526739 Item 4
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438867.
http://apling.freeservers.com/1891Census/Merton.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Wayland/Wayland.shtml
Norfolk Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- http://apling.freeservers.com/Villages/Merton54.htm 1854Francis White's History transcript
- http://apling.freeservers.com/Villages/Merton.htm 1881 Kelly's Directory transcript
- http://apling.freeservers.com/Villages/Merton37.htm 1937 Kelly's Directory
- Norfolk: Merton on GenUKI
- Merton St Peter on A Church Near You
- The Churches of Wayland
- British History online
- Church of St Peter Merton on British Listed Buildings
- Merton on Norfolk Churches]
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp.295-298. Date accessed: 23 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:20.
- This page has been accessed 955 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki