Michigan GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several helpful gazetteers of Michigan have been published. Three of the better sources for finding place names are:
- Blois, John T. Gazetteer of the State of Michigan. Detroit, Mich.: S.L. Rood, 1939. FHL Film 897469 item 1; Fiche 6051130.)
- Romig, Walter. Michigan Place Names. Grosse Pointe, Mich.: n.p., 197-. FHL Book 977.4 E2r; Film 982202 item 1.
- Michigan Gazetteer. Wilmington, De.: American Historical Publications, 1991. FHL Book 977.4 E5mg. A historical gazetteer which gives detailed information about events that have occurred and the individuals who participated.
For other placename and locality books see:
- ATLAS OF GREAT LAKES INDIAN HISTORY by H. Tanner.
- ATLAS OF MICHIGAN, by Tackaberry.
- ATLAS OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN by H.F. Walling.
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE PRINTED MAPS OF MICHIGAN, 1840-1880 by Louis C. Karpinski
- EARLY MICHIGAN SETTLEMENTS by W.W. Florer.
- LAKE SUPERIOR PLACE NAMES: FROM BAWATING TO THE MONTREAL, by Bernard C. Peters
- MANUSCRIPT MAPS OF THE COUNTIES OF MICHIGAN, 1818-1841, 30 volS. by Bela Hubbard.
- MICHIGAN ATLASES & PLAT BOOKS: A CHECKLIST 1872-1973, comp. by Wm. Miles.
- MICHIGAN GHOST TOWNS, by Dodge, 3 vols.
- MICHIGAN INDIAN PLACE NAMES, by Vogel
- MICHIGAN SHADOW TOWNS: A STUDY OF VANISHING AND VIBRANT VILLAGES, by Gene Scott
- TOWNSHIP ATLAS OF THE UNITED STATES comp. by John L. Andriot.
Other interesting data is the "The Rural Property Inventory" by LeRoy Barnett, a description of which appears in "Michigan's Habitant Heritage" the journal of the French-Canadian Heritage Society of Michigan, v.3 #3 p.43 (1982).
- Polk's Michigan State Gazetteer and Business Directory -
- Gazetteer of the state of Michigan, 1839 - https://archive.org/details/gazetteerofstate01bloi
How did your migrating ancestor find the correct destination out West? Quite possibly they had a copy of Brown's book:
- Brown, Samuel R. The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western. Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:15.
- This page has been accessed 2,882 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News