Michigan Indian AgencyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Michigan Agency is a currently operating agency in the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Its supervising office it the Minneapolis Area Office.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Michigan Agency was established about 1934 and is located in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan.
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same.Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by the agencies.
- ↑ Guide to Archival Holdings, Great Lakes Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), Chicago, Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Marquette University. Guide to Catholic-Related Records in the Midwest about Native Americans.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2015, at 14:47.
- This page has been accessed 1,162 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News