Milwaukee County, WisconsinEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Milwaukee County Wisconsin genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
Milwaukee County Courthouse
901 N 9th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Register of Deeds has birth, marriage, and death records,
land records from 1835; Register in Probate has probate
records from 1838
Places / Localities
A database of many Catholic cemeteries for Milwaukee
can be found at the Archdiocese of Milwaukee Catholic cemeteries website.
Wisconsin State Census— The following Wisconsin state censuses are digitized, indexed, and available on-line at FamilySearch.org: 1855, 1875, 1885, 1895, and 1905.
Church History and Records
Ascension Lutheran Church
- Records of Ascension Lutheran Church, Milwaukee County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Milwaukee County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Our Savior's Lutheran Church
- Records of Our Savior's Lutheran Church, Milwaukee County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Crime and Criminals
Fold3.com ($) has Milwaukee City Directories 1861-1892 (3 yrs. missing) available online. The collection is part of Fold3.com's "premium content" which requires a subscription to view, or can be viewed for free at a Family History Center.
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Volga Germans had many settlements in Racine county. To find out more about Volga Germans click here. This site gives resources to help you with your Volga German research, including a mailing list to help you communicate with others in the same ethnic group. They have indexed and made searchable over 100,000 names. You can search by name or village name and the search leads you to sites where that name or village can be found.
The Milwaukee Historical Society has many useful records that may help you in your German or other nationality research.
The record types available here are:
- Civil War Rosters
- Jail records
- Marriage record index
- School census record
- Territorial census records
- Ordination records of church clergy
- Published histories
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Milwaukee County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Milwaukee County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies H and I
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Companies D, H, K and M
Naturalization and Citizenship
The following obituary indices are available through the Milwaukee Public Library. See Genealogy Obituary Resources to learn more.
- Milwaukee Journal Newspaper Index, 1915-1917
- Milwaukee's German Newspapers: an Index of Death Notices and Related Items
- Wisconsin Necrology, 1846-1944
- Index to Deaths Reported in the Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle, 1921-1996
- Death Notices/Obits, 1930s (?) - June, 30, 1992: Surname Index
- Obituaries, Milwaukee Journal/Milwaukee Sentinel, 1958-1988
- Milwaukee Area Necrology, 1992-1998
- Milwaukee Sentinel Card Index, 1837 - 1879
- Milwaukee Sentinel Card Index, 1880-1890
- Italian Times
- The Wisconsin Jewish Chronicle
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Milwaukee Public Library
814 W. Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53233
See the library's Genealogy page for online and other collections.
Family History Centers
Milwaukee County Historical Society
910 N. Old World Third Street
Milwaukee WI 53203
Indices available through Milwaukee County Library:
- Marriage Certificates for Milwaukee County for the years 1822-1876
- Marriage Records for Milwaukee County for the years 1836-1911
Visit the library's site linked above to see a complete list of marriage records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Milwaukee County Genealogy (Wisconsin Genealogy)
- Milwaukee County Historical Society
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. page 758 Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Wisconsin-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 26 November 2013, at 18:54.
- This page has been accessed 5,136 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More