Minnesota, Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Minnesota, Marriage Index, 1958-2001 .
The collection consists of an index to marriages from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Minnesota Center for Health Statistics, Office of the State Registrar in St. Paul. The index is provided by Ancestry.com. The collection includes records from 1948 to 2001.
The index may include the following information:
- Name of bride and groom
- Marriage date and place
- Name of spouse (May only list surname)
- Reference ID - Page/Volume/Entry/Certificate Number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The names of the bride and groom
- The marriage place
- The marriage date
Search the Collection
Fill in the requested information in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the wiki article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have married in Minnesota.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct. You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby states and communitites.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals with the same family number.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Minnesota, Marriage Index, 1958-2001." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "Minnesota, Marriage Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2007.
Record citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Minnesota, Marriage Index, 1958-2001.|
- This page was last modified on 15 October 2014, at 15:50.
- This page has been accessed 5,143 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki