Minnesota GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Gazetteers list geographical names such as towns, settlements, rivers, mountains, villages, and districts. Sometimes they list the population and other details about the location. They usually include only the name of places as they existed at the time the gazetteer was published.
- Bakeman, Mary. Minnesota Places: Then and Now. St. Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Genealogical Society, 1991. (Family History Library book 977.6 A1 no.100.) This book includes 855 towns and 192 other places that have a post office. It also lists more than 1,900 names of towns in Minnesota, past and present.
- Rippley, LaVern J. German Place Names in Minnesota. Northfield, Minnesota: St. Olaf College, 1980. (Family History Library book 977.6 E2r.) This book identifies over 200 German names of towns, settlements, townships, and bodies of water in the state. The text is in English and German.
- Upham, Warren. Minnesota Geographic Names: Their Origin and Historic Significance. St. Paul, Minnesota: Minnesota Historical Society, 1969. (Family History Library book 977.6 E2u.) This study of Minnesota place names was originally done in 1920. This edition includes an introduction updated by the author and a supplement listing localities created since 1920.
For River Landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. (includes Tennessee) New Orleans : W.L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
Family History Library Collection
Gazetteers can be found on state, county and local levels. Links to county pages appear below.
Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at Family History Centers. Also find Minnesota Gazetteer resources available at other libraries (WorldCat). Explore how to search WorldCat and the FamilySearch Catalog.
For more information about Wisconsin places, see Wisconsin Maps.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:59.
- This page has been accessed 1,574 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki