Minster, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Minster, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
The Church of Saint Merteriana, Minster, Cornwall.
|Poor Law Union||Camelford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1678|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1616|
|Rural Deanery||Trigg Minor|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
MINSTER (St. Metherian), a parish, in the union of Camelford, hundred of Lesnewth, E. division of Cornwall, 3¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Bossiney. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. 
Minster St Materiana is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish include: Boscastle.
Boscastle is the principal settlement in the parish of Forrabury, Cornwall and Minster. It is 14 miles (23 kilometres) south of Bude and 5 miles (8 kilometres) north-east of Tintagel. Forrabury parish church, dedicated to St Symphorian, is in Boscastle at OS Grid Ref SX095908.
However, the mother church of Boscastle is dedicated to St Materiana and nestles among the trees of Minster Wood in the valley of the River Valency half-a-mile east of Boscastle at OS Grid Ref SX110904. The original Forrabury / Minster boundary crossed the river so the harbour end of the village was in Forrabury and the upriver area in Minster. The churches were established some time earlier than the settlement at Boscastle (in Norman times when a castle was built there). The Celtic name of Minster was Talkarn but it was renamed Minster in Anglo-Saxon times because of a monastery on the site. Until the Reformation St Materiana's tomb was preserved in the church. (Another spelling of her name sometimes used is 'Mertheriana' but the usual Latin form is Materiana.) For many years the Anglican parishes of Forrabury and Minster have been in the charge of a Rector who is responsible for a group of adjoining parishes as well as these. Minster Church was damaged by the flood of August 2004 and in the following year archaeological work was done at the church to obtain a clearer idea of the history of the building.
The parish is part of the Boscatle with Davidstow Unitied Benefice within the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Minster, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Minster, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 153
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/minster.php which includes images of the church.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241262.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Add here any relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 321-325. Date accessed: 18 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2014, at 22:09.
- This page has been accessed 894 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki