Minster in Thanet, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Minster in Thanet, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Minster in Thanet, Kent|
|Hundred||Ringslow or Isle of Thanet|
|Poor Law Union||Thanet PLU|
|Parish registers: 1557|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
Minster in Thanet is a village and civil parish in the Thanet district of Kent, see Minster-in-Thanet Wikipedia
Minster in Thanet St Mary is an Ancient Parish which included Acol within the parish boundary.
The church of St Mary Station Road Minster has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
See Kent Archeological Society and Edward Hasted The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 10 (1800), pp. 264-294. Date accessed: 5 September 2013. at British History Online Kent Churches website
Acol is a hamlet and civil parish Acol Wikipedia
From the extensive parish with the growth of Westgate on Sea Westgate on Sea Wikipedia were formed in the civil parish of Margate the Anglican parishes of
Westgate St James see Kent Churches website
Here is an important jurisdictional perspective by Samuel A. Lewis--
MINSTER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Margate. There are two chapels of St. Mary, and St. Peter and St. Paul. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Minster in Thanet, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|Minster in Thanet, Kent Parish Online Records|
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 321-325. Date accessed: 17 April 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury marriage records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:43.
- This page has been accessed 2,768 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page