Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States Mississippi
Guide to Mississippi, ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|News and Events|
|Did You Know?|
the Magnolia State
|How to Find Information about Mississippi Ancestors|
Online Records · National Archives at Atlanta · Mississippi Department of Archives and History · Evans Memorial Library · McCardle Research Library · Mississippi State University Mitchell Library · University of Mississippi Williams Library · Briscoe Center for American History Austin TX · Dallas Public Central Library TX · Mobile Municipal Archives AL
Mississippi River · Yazoo River · Alabama, Choctaw and Natchez Trail · Choctaw-Bay St. Louis Trail · Federal Horse Path · Gaine's Trace · Jackson's Military Road · Lake Ponchartrain Trail · Lower Creek Trading Path · Memphis, Pontotoc and Mobile Trail · Mobile and Natchez Trail · Natchez-Lower Creeks Trail · Natchez-New Orleans Trail · Natchez Trace · Chickasaw Trail · Tombigbee and Arkansas River Trail · West Tennessee Chickasaw Trail · Illinois Central Railroad
Most pre-statehood settlers of Mississippi came from the older Southern states along the Atlantic seaboard. Some came from New England and a few colonial French families settled in the Biloxi area. Most of the settlers, however, were of Ulster Scottish, English, and northern European ancestry. Blacks outnumbered whites in Mississippi from the middle of the nineteenth century until the middle of the twentieth. Most of the Indians were gone by the late 1830s, but there are still a few thousand Choctaws living in east central Mississippi.
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- How to order Mississippi Vital Records
- State of Mississippi County & City Government Court links
- Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps and Atlases
- Mississippi Genealogy Research Community: Ask a question. Find answers, and share what you know.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- List of Mississippi Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- History & Facts of Mississippi Counties
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Mississippi GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Access Genealogy: Mississippi Genealogy has a wealth of resources.
- BYU Mississippi Research Outline largely duplicates these Wiki pages. Includes some bibliographic lists from BYU Library, 2001
- Family Tree Encyclopedia - Terminology & Meanings of Genealogical Terms
- Printable Genealogy Forms used in Research
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Mississippi Enumeration on Educable Children (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Mississippi Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Mississippi, Tippah County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 29 January 2016, at 04:14.
- This page has been accessed 86,806 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News