Mississippi Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Before 1900 the largest religious groups in Mississippi were the Baptist and the Methodist Episcopal (now United Methodist) churches. The Family History Library has a few original church records for Mississippi, including some Baptist and Presbyterian documents. However, the records of these major denominations seldom include birth, marriage, and death dates.
Some denominations have collected their records into central repositories. You can write to the following addresses to learn where their records are located:
Mississippi Baptist Historical Collection
Mississippi College Library
200 S. Capitol Street
Clinton, MS 39060
Phone: (601) 925-3000
The Southern Baptist Historical Library and Archives
901 Commerce Street #400
Nashville, TN 37203-3630
Phone (615) 244-0344
Fax (615) 782-4821
Histories of the Baptists include:
- Benjamin, Griffin. History of the Primitive Baptists of Mississippi. Jackson, Miss.: Barksdale and Jones, 1853. Digital version at Internet Archive; 1958 reprint: FHL Book 976.2 K2g.
- Schilling, T.C. Abstract History of the Mississippi Baptist Association, 1806-1906. New Orleans, La.: n.p., 1908. FHL Film 1036195 Item 1; digital version and index at Baptist History Homepage
An 1899 directory of Baptist ministers lists biographical details about many ministers born or serving in the state:
- The Ministerial Directory of the Baptist Churches in the United States of America. Oxford, Ohio: Ministerial Directory Co., 1899. Digital version at Google Books.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Mississippi Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the FamilySearch Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
J.B. Cain Archives of Mississippi Methodism
1701 North State Street
Jackson, MS 39210
Phone: (601) 974-1073
Fax: (601) 974-1082
Commission on Archives and History of the United Methodist Church
36 Madison Avenue
P.O. Box 127
Madison, NJ 07940
Phone: (201) 408-3590
Fax: (201) 408-3909
A helpful history is:
- Lindsey, J. Allen. Methodism in the Mississippi Conference. Jackson, Miss.: Hawkins Foundation, Mississippi Conference Historical Society, 1964. FHL Book 976.2 K2L.
Diocese of Biloxi
1790 Popps Ferry Road
Biloxi, MS 39532
Phone: (228) 702-2100
Diocese of Jackson
237 East Amite
P.O. Box 2248
Jackson, MS 39225
Phone: (601) 969-1880
The diocese includes the counties of: Adams, Alcorn, Amite, Attala, Bolivar, Benton, Calhoun, Carroll, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Claiborne, Clarke, Clay, Coahoma, Copiah, DeSoto, Franklin, Grenada, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Itawamba, Jasper, Jefferson, Kemper, Lafayette, Lauderdale, Leake, Lee, Leflore, Lincoln, Lowndes, Madison, Marshall, Monroe, Montgomery, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Oktibbeha, Panola, Pike, Pontotoc, Prentiss, Quitman, Rankin, Scott, Sharkey, Simpson, Smith, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tishomingo, Tunica, Union, Warren, Washington, Webster, Wilkinson, Winston, Yalobusha and Yazoo.
- ↑ Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- ↑ Davis points out that not all ministers participated, see: Robert S. Davis, "Some Baptist Ministers of South Carolina at the Turn of the Century," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 32, No. 1 (Winter 2004):13-22. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 32.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:04.
- This page has been accessed 10,442 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki