Mississippi GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Although there are no statewide gazetteers available for Mississippi, many local histories give information on place names.
The names of small villages and towns are listed in:
- Oakley, Bruce C. A Postal History of Mississippi - Stampless Period, 1799-1860. Baldwyn, Miss.: Magnolia Publishers, 1969. FHL Book 976.2 E8o
How did your ancestor find the correct destination out West? Quite possibly they had a copy of Brown's book:
- Brown, Samuel R. The Western Gazetteer or Emigrant's Directory, Containing a Geographical Description of the Western States and Territories, viz. The States of Kentucky, Indiana, Louisiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Mississippi: and the Territories of Illinois, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, and North-Western. Auburn, N.Y.: H.C. Southwick, 1817. Digital versions at NIU Library Digitization Projects and World Vital Records ($).
For river landings, see:
- Adams, Louis A. Adam's Directory of Points and Landings on Rivers and Bayous in the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Iowa, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin. (includes Tennessee) New Orleans : W.L. Murray, 1877. Digital version at Internet Archive.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2012, at 16:41.
- This page has been accessed 1,924 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page