Missouri, Jackson, Voter Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Missouri, Jackson County Voter Registration Records, 1928-1956 .
The collection consists of digital images of voter registration books from the Midwest Missouri Genealogical Library, Jackson County, Missouri for the years 1928 to 1956.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Record ContentKey genealogical facts found in the Voter Registrations usually includes the following:
The information in the registers includes:
- Name of voter
- Current address
- Gender, age, and race of voter
- Length of residence in state, in county, in precinct
- Name of voting precinct
- Is voter a naturalized citizen
- Date of Registration
- Signature of voter
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- Name of the ancestor
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒ Select Browse through images on the initial collection page
⇒ Select the City/Township
⇒ Select the Precinct Number/Date Range which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the name, residence and are or birth date to locate your ancestor in church, land, and census records.
- Use ages to determine approximate birth dates.
- Use the naturalization information to find their immigration and naturalization court documents.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Search for records of people in the county with the same surname. These may have been the couple’s parents, uncles, or other relatives.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Some counties were subdivided or the boundaries may have changed. Consider searching neighboring counties as well since that courthouse may have been more convenient for the person.
- The information in voter registrations in usually very brief so it is easy to confuse individuals with similar names.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for indexes.
|FHL Place Missouri, Jackson items or FHL Keyword United States, Missouri, Jackson items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Missouri Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing Family Search Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Missouri, Jackson County Voter Registration Records, 1928-1956
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Missouri, Jackson County Voter Registration Records, 1928-1956" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Board of Election Commissioners. Midwest Missouri Genealogical Library, Independence.
- This page was last modified on 15 July 2014, at 18:49.
- This page has been accessed 2,213 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki