Mitchell County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Mitchell County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Mitchell County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
1851 Mitchell County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Chickasaw and Fayette Counties prior to organization 2 October 1854. County seat: Osage 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Carpenter, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
First Lutheran Church, St. Ansgar
- Records of the First Lutheran Church, St. Ansgar, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Mitchell County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Rock Creek Lutheran Church
- Records of the Rock Creek Lutheran Church, Mitchell County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Mitchell County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Mitchell County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Mitchell County, Iowa:
- - 20th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
- - 27th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 20th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
:- 27th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Mitchell County, Iowa newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Mitchell - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
- Mitchell County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Mitchell County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Iowa Genealogical Web-Mitchell County (IAGenWeb)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 05:11.
- This page has been accessed 4,503 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki