Moldova, Poll Tax Census (Revision Lists) and Census Lists (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Moldova, Poll Tax Census (Revision Lists) and Census Lists 1796-1917 .
Title in the Language of the Record
Republica Moldova, Sondaj Brut Recensamantul (Liste de revizuire) și Liste recensământ (Romanian)
This collection consists of images of family lists for the tax paying population (about 95% of the population) conducted from 1796-1859 and a variety of family, resident, population, colonist, and ethnic group lists from 1818-1917. The localities listed reflect the places that existed during the period of the Russian Empire. Some of the localities are now in Ukraine.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
|This image needs a translation.You can help by adding an English translation of the image. (Instructions)|
Census records usually contain the following information.
- Name of head of household
- Names of household members
- Age of head of household
- Ages of household members
- Household members relationship to the head of household
How to Use the Record
This section provides information on how to search the collection, what to do with information once found, some tips on how to find records, and what to do if no record is found.
As you are searching, it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor's given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence, age, estimated [event] year, and family relationships.
Search the Collection
To browse by image:
To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the Browse link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the 'Province' category
⇒ Select the 'District or City' category
⇒ Select the 'Year/Vol' category which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Russian and Moldovan (virtually the same as Romanian). For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
Using the Information
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the county code and the certificate number to obtain a copy of the original death certificate from the county.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. In addition local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
|FHL Place Moldova items or FHL Keyword Moldova items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Moldova, Poll Tax Census (Revision Lists) and Census Lists 1796-1917." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2014. Citing Moldovan National Archives, Kishinev.
|The citation for an image is available on each image in this collection by clicking Show Citation at the bottom left of the image screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Moldova, Poll Tax Census (Revision Lists) and Census Lists 1796-1917.|
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2014, at 22:32.
- This page has been accessed 3,083 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page