Monroe County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Monroe County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Monroe County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||May 15, 1827|
|Address|| Monroe County Courthouse|
PO Box 189
Forsyth, GA 31029-0189
Monroe County Website
Monroe County Courthouse
PO Box 189
Forsyth, GA 31029-0189
Probate Court has marriage, probate records from 1824, birth records from 1927 and death records from 1940; Clerk Superior Court has court and land records from 1821 and divorce records
1821--Monroe County was created 15 May 1827 from Creek Indian Lands. County seat: Forsyth 
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Monroe County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Monroe County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Monroe County, Georgia:
- - 1st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Ramsey's) (Confederate), Company K
- - 14th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - 31st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D
- - 32nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 35th Battalion, Georgia (Confederate), Company D
- - 45th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Companies B and D
- - 53rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Monroe County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1824-1847 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Wills 1824-1847 (digital images). See names of testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1848-1875 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Wills, 1868-1878 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Wills, 1876-1927 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Annual Returns 1823-1858 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1824-1875 - Monroe County Marriage Books A, B, and B2 Index 1824-1875. Batch M713381 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1872-1881 - Monroe County Marriage Books C and D Index 1872-1881. Batch M713382 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1886 - Monroe County Marriage Book E Index 1881-1886. Batch M713383 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886-1893 - Monroe County Marriage Book F Index 1886-1893. Batch M713384 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1893-1895 - Monroe County Marriage Book G Index 1893-1895. Batch M713385 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Monroe County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Monroe County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Monroe County, Georgia. Page 158 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 45. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 5 May 2014, at 19:32.
- This page has been accessed 5,464 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki